Ballistic Advantage - Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Modern, Performance and Premium Series Barrels?
- Modern Series Barrels are machined from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel and feature a QPQ corrosion resistant finish and QPQ coated M4 feed ramp extension.
- Performance Series Barrels are machined from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium and feature a QPQ corrision resistant finish and a nickel boron coated M4 feed ramp extension.
- Premium Series Barrels are machined from 416 Stainless Steel and feature a bead blasted finish and a nickel boron coated m4 feed ramp extension.
What is Ballistic Advantage Hanson?
The BA Hanson Series exemplifies the quality and accuracy you have come to expect from Ballistic Advantage. BA Hanson Profile barrels feature a shoulder-less design, symmetrically limiting barrel “whip” and allowing the barrel to quickly return to its home position. This is extremely beneficial for follow up shots at a high rate of fire or full auto fire. Lightweight feel without the lightweight limitations, it is truly ideal for how an AR-15 is designed to perform.
Will my 5.45 bolt work with a Ballistic Advantage barrel?
There are hundreds of bolt manufacturers out there and chances are your bolt will headspace just fine with a Ballistic Advantage barrel however we can tell you this for sure:
Headspace CORRECT for Ballistic Advantage barrels:
- Ground Zero Precision "Dead Bolt"
- Smith & Wesson
- Spike’s Tactical
- Adam’s Arms
Headspace NOT CORRECT for Ballistic Advantage barrels:
- Model 1 Sales
- Red X Arms
Will my Ballistic Advantage 5.45 barrel work with my piston kit?
Our barrels have been optimized for direct impingement. A piston will work with BA barrels but occasionally some customers have found the need to enlarge the gas port. If this is the case, the complete upper with piston can be shipped to us and we can increase the port for proper function for a $50 shop charge (customer to pay for shipping). If you are able to increase the port yourself we recommend the smallest increments possible.
What 5.45 ammo can I use in a Ballistic Advantage barrel?
The only ammo that we have found to have function problems is Wolf 5.45×39 WPA Polyformance 55 grain HP ammo. The spec of this round will not match the spec of our chamber so we strongly recommend you do not use it.
The resulting specs:
- Significantly smaller size and weight.
- Thicker, stronger, shorter, radiused blast baffle instead of long thin cone.
- Shortened baffle increases cavity volume and optimizes barrel pressure (especially when the barrel is made specifically for the Kuuma).
- Reduced exit hole to increase pressure.
- Four different models to provide a variety of options for multiple configurations and part compatibility.